20 November 2005

Last Week In Brief...

Hey guys, it's Donnie...my most severe apologies for leaving you all in the cold last week. I had absolutely zero free time last week, in or out of the office. But, as promised, I've gathered all of last week's major headlines and distilled them into one easy to read column. In all honesty, I write a weekly column for another website where I sum up the week's news, and so I figured that, rather than leave you all sitting there scratching your heads as to last week's goings on, I'd just give you a taste of The Weekly Rundown. So, without further ado, let the mayhem begin...

Word On The Street...

Everything’s Better In 3D
I still haven’t had the chance to check out Chicken Little in the new Disney Digital 3D format, but I’ve heard that it’s extremely impressive. It’s also been making Disney quite a bit of coin, so it’s hardly surprising that a number of projects are jumping on the digital 3D bandwagon. New Line and Walden Media are teaming up to bring us all Journey 3D, a DaVinci Code-esque story about a scientist and his teenage son who discover evidence that Jules Verne’s Journey To The Center Of The Earth actually describes a real underground landscape and that the book contains clues to its location. The movie will be live-action, but they’ll be using the same photo-real 3D technology that was just used on The Chronicles Of Narnia, and I hear that, despite the TV ads, those effects are pretty sweet when they’re finished and on the big screen. At the same time, Disney announced that their upcoming CG animated flick, Meet The Robinsons, will be released in 3D ala Chicken Little. The story centers on a boy who meets a young time traveler from the future named Wilbur Robinson, and together they travel forward in time where I’m sure numerous hijinks will ensue. I actually have pretty high hopes for this one, and I have the feeling that this could be one of the first really great 3D films we’re going to see in theaters.

K For Kick-Ass Posters
Since V For Vendetta was pushed back from early November to mid-March, we’re getting a new marketing strategy for the film and I have to say, I absolutely love it. They released four posters this week on four different websites and I have to say that each one is bordering on perfection. I can’t wait to see hundreds of these things plastered all over LA come late February. They just have this wonderful sense of history to them…echoing a number of different propaganda campaigns from across the globe. The ones at AintItCool and IGN are easily my favorites, and MTV sucks for posting it in a crappy, scaled-down Flash version that I can’t download. Boo to them. I really want to buy one of these to hang in my room. Right alongside my red Marv Sin City poster. Yeah.
Click it here for Awesomeness Part One
Click it here for Awesomeness Part Two
Click it here for Awesomeness Part Three
Click it here for Awesomeness Part Four

Adam Sandler. September 11th. Not A Typo.
So Oliver Stone is currently in New York filming his World Trade Center movie with Nic Cage, Michael Pena, Maria Bello and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Paul Greengrass is hard at work on his semi-improvisational story of Flight 93 that crashed in a Pennsylvania field. And now, the sensitive topic of 9/11 will be tackled by…Adam Sandler. Yes, that’s affirmative. Sandler will star alongside THE Don Cheadle as a man who lost his wife and kids on September 11th, and turns to his old college roommate (Cheadle) for support. Sony is footing the fairly modest budget, just under $20 million, and Mike Binder (The Upside Of Anger and the upcoming Man About Town) will be directing and possibly writing the film, currently titled Reign O’er Me. A lot of people are complaining about Billy Madison desecrating the memory of 9/11, but I have to disagree. He was utterly astounding in Punch Drunk Love and I was evern fairly impressed with his work in Spanglish, which was a much more mature sort of performance than we tend to get from The Waterboy. If we’re getting Punch Drunk Adam Sandler, I think we’re all in for a bit of a surprise.

Clooney + Coen Brothers = Cool
George Clooney will soon be directing a live broadcast TV movie remake of the classic Network, and word is that afterwards he’s looking to direct a script currently being written by Joel and Ethan Coen titled Suburbacon. Unfortunately, we don’t have any more detail than that, but, honestly, I don’t really care. Clooney has established himself as a director to pay attention to. Not only are his films emotionally compelling and full of a rich visual texture, but he’s making a habit of working with great writing talent. First Charlie Kaufman, then Grant Heslov, now the Coens? Could this perhaps be a precursor to the return of the Coen brothers we all know, love and miss terribly? Good God let’s hope so.

Favreau Likes Cool Cars
Jon Favreau is building himself quite the little docket of directing projects. He just finished the magnificent Zathura, he’s gearing up to start John Carter Of Mars, and after that…well he’s already got the animated flick Neanderthals lined up, but now he’s added Johnny Zero to the list. Zero is described as a post WWII action drama about the birth of the hotrod culture. John Favreau and hotrods? Sounds pretty damn money to me. I’m really enjoying his transition to director and it looks like his immediate future is chock full of diverse and interesting projects. Seriously, pulp sci-fi epic, caveman cartoon, and WWII hotrod flick? Doesn’t get much more diverse than that.

Parker And Stone Conquer The Mountain
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut is nothing short of pure brilliance. Team America…also pretty damn clever, but it was kind of a two-joke movie. Well, Trey Parker and Matt Stone are going to have plenty of opportunities to work out the kinks because they just signed a three year first look deal with Paramount. Hopefully that means lots more satire for us. They’ve also got three more years of South Park guaranteed, and somehow that show has yet to go stale. I haven’t seen the most recent episode about scientologists, but last week’s episode about the ginger kids…hilarious. My father is a ginger…does that mean my kids are doomed? Goddamnit…

Welcome Back To Trailertown!

Superman Returns: Alright, so a lot of people are complaining that the teaser is disappointing, that there isn’t enough to it. You know what I have to say about that? Balls to that! This is a teaser trailer. It’s only supposed to be a tease, to give you a sense of tone, style, and a little glimpse of the characters in action, which is exactly what this teaser does, and boy does it do it well. I think we’ve come to expect to much from teaser trailers. The Kong teaser was so content heavy it was like a full blown trailer. Remember the T3 teaser? It was just a liquid metal logo. Hell, the teaser for the Donner Superman was just a camera flying through clouds with some titles. I love this teaser. I flat out love it. I think it strikes the perfect balance between showing too much and not showing anything at all. The mailbox shot, the silhouette of “the S-curl” and Supes rising against the sunset…This is one of the most beautiful looking films in recent memory. I can’t wait to see a full trailer, complete with Lois, Lex, Jimmy and bumbling Clark. This is probably the movie I’m most looking forward to right now.
Click it here for the return of the blue tights...

Tideland: I’ve heard very mixed reviews on Terry Gilliam’s second film of 2005. I missed out on Brothers Grimm, but this one looks much more like Gilliam’s style. While the former Python’s films have always been pretty up and down when it comes to the critics, I’ve always been a fan, so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, Gilliam creating a little girl’s fantasy world? And Jeff Bridges looks to be in absolute top form here. Any year that we get two Terry Gilliam movies is a good year in my book…
Click it here to play in the coolest field ever... (Click on Access Map)

Goal!: One of my roommates is British and he loves “football”. I keep meaning to show this to him because I feel like he’ll probably love it. I’m pretty sure that this is supposed to be the first in a trilogy about this character’s meteoric rise (and presumably fall) as a soccer star. I’m always a sucker for a good sports movie and I don’t know much of anything about professional soccer. So call it an educational experience…
Click it here for some fancy ass foortwork...

The Kid & I: When I first heard about this movie, I thought that Tom Arnold was playing himself, especially since True Lies seemed to be such a prominent part of the plot. Apparently he’s just playing a character that is very similar to himself. But he did write this thing and it’s directed by Penelope Spheeris, who previously brought us the glory that is Wayne’s World, so suffice it to say I’m interested. The premise…well, I think I’ll let you discover it for yourself, but suffice it to say it’s certainly not going to be middle of the road. It seems destined to be either brilliant or awful. I suppose it depends on how much Tom Arnold is willing to make fun of himself. From the looks of things, quite a bit.
Click it here for Tom Arnold's triumphant return...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder