21 September 2005

When Did Mel Brooks Remember How To Be Funny?

Hey guys, it's Donnie...I'll say it right up front: I hate musicals. My two favorite musicals of all time (and pretty much the only ones that I tolerate) are the Buffy musical Once More With Feeling (because Joss Whedon is clever as all hell) and, first and foremost, The Blues Brothers. But, then again, how can you hate a musical featuring some of the greatest rhythm and blues musicians ever assembled and not one but TWO of the greatest car chases of all time.

That being said, Mel Brooks will soon be double plagurizing himself by producing a big screen musical of his Broadway musical based on his own original movie The Producers. I like the original, (Gene Wilder is brilliant as always) although I never had any desire to see the Broadway version. However, even I have to admit that the British trailer for the newest incarnation starring Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Will Ferrell and Uma Thurman indicates a fun time at the theater.

It's in flash, so it looks like crap, but I actually laughed once or twice. It's much funnier than I expected it to be. I figured this would be somewhat of a toothless crowd pleaser, but there's clearly something else going on here. I'm curious what the American trailer will look like...

Click it here to have a standing ovation...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder