15 September 2005

"...And The Venerable Robert K. Wise."

Hey guys, it's Donnie...It's with a heavy heart that I must report the death of Robert K. Wise, a name that all movie geeks should know. I first heard of him as a Star Trek geek, because he directed Star Trek: The Motion Picture. But the man was responsible for some of the most enduring films of our time. He directed The Sound Of Music, West Side Story, The Day The Earth Stood Still, and The Haunting, just to name a few. He was President of the Director's Guild and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. He directed Oscar nominated performances by nine different actors. And, oh yeah, he also edited the greatest film ever made, Citizen Kane. The man did it all, and I've never heard a bad word spoken about him. I'm sure he's going to be greatly missed in the industry and I'm sure the Academy will give him a very nice little tribute moment during the In Memorium bit at this year's Oscars, although I think he's actually deserving of his own segment.

Robert K. Wise had just turned 91 this past Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder