30 September 2005

Mike Meyers Career Continues To Go Down The Shitter

Hey guys, it's Donnie...We've received word on Mike Myers next project, and I can't help but think back on his career, and compare it to another talented slapstick comedian who came into the public consciousness right around the same time: Jim Carrey. Both made names as great physical comedians with a myriad of wacky voices at their disposal and a penchant for the absurd. The major difference between the two in 2006?

Jim Carrey's filmography doesn't make me cringe.

I used to love Mike Meyers. So I Married An Axe Murderer was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and I think that Meyers may have hit his comedic peak with that movie, which is truly unfortunate. I mean, I really enjoyed the first Austin Powers movie at the time, but all the funny has been beaten out of it by over exposure/over merchandising and the series has gotten worse as time has gone on. The Shrek movies are also enjoyable the first time around, but they have a half-life of about 12 seconds before they become dated and not-so-funny. He did Cat In The Hat in order to settle a lawsuit, so I'm almost willing to cut him a break on that. Almost. But, between the Austin Powers and Shrek franchises, Meyers pretty much never has to work another day in his life, so....gah.

Another big difference between Carrey and Meyers...Carrey can successfully pull of the serious acting thing. The Majestic is far from great, but Carrey does a decent job. He's certainly not unwatchable, which is more than I can say for Meyers in 54. And Eternal Sunshine...well, enough said. He's got another dramatic role in the works for Joel Schumacher called The Number 23, and I'm really rather looking forward to it.

Anyway, Meyers seems determined to give serious acting another go around, as he's just signed on to do an untitled biopic about Keith Moon, the insane(ly talented) drummer of The Who. Roger Daltry is onboard as a producer. I can't say I'm particularly familiar with the work of The Who, but I hear that Moon was an absolute madman, so maybe acting totally schizo will help soften the transition to real acting for Meyers.

Either way, the prospect of Mike Meyers as Keith Moon gives me a serious sinking feeling, as opposed to the prospect of Elijah Wood as Iggy Pop, which just may be fucking brilliant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder