28 September 2005

Next Time Gadget...Next Time!

Hey guys, it's Donnie...While I was certainly sad to hear about the recent passing of Gilligan, (and later mortified to hear that Rob Schnieder is trying to launch a big screen adaptation with himself as the titular "little buddy") I have to admit that I was never a tremendous fan of the unforunate passengers of the S.S. Minnow. Gilligan's Island was something I would watch because it was on TBS for like 4 hours a day when I was growing up. For whatever reason, I just couldn't really get on board (pun only slightly intended) with that show. Maybe it was because they could make a two-way radio out of a pair of coconuts but they couldn't fix the 3 foot hole in the damn boat.

On the other hand, when I learned of the passing of Don Adams, my heart just about sank into my shoes. What's that? You say you've never heard of Don Adams? Well, perhaps you may know him better as Maxwell Smart, aka Agent 86, bearer of the shoe phone, defender of the Cones Of Silence, almost-defeater of the nude bomb, and star of the legendary series Get Smart. Still not ringing any bells? Well in that case you must be closer to my age than my father's age, and you know him better as the greatest cyborg slueth the world has ever known: Inspector Gadget. If you still don't know what I'm talking about, then go back to your home planet, we don't serve your kind here.

Inspector Gadget is at the pinnacle of the animated iconography of my youth, right up there with The Real Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, and Voltron. Go Go Gadget [insert way cool contraption and/or body part here] was one of my favorite catch phrases as a kid. When I finally discoverd Get Smart a few years later, I just about crapped myself with glee. This guy was a comic genius, and it's with great sadness that I mourn his passing.

The only possible silver lining is that perhaps the powers-that-be will finally get off their asses and get moving on the feature adaptation of Get Smart starring Steve Carrell, although I would have loved to see Adams make a cameo appearance...ah well. I guess we'll just have to start rumors on who'll be playing the lovely Agent 99...hmmm, he and Elizabeth Banks had some pretty good chemistry...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder