28 September 2005

Spidey Villians Locked And Loaded

Hey guys, it's Donnie...You know, I really feel geniuinely bad for Avi Arad and Sam Raimi. They've done an amazing job of containing the various rumors as to the identity of the Spidey 3 villians. Sure, there have been about a billion rumors floating around, but none that could really be considered credible.

That was, of course, until Kirsten Dunst opened up her big yap.

Yes, that's right, at a recent press conference for Elizabethtown, someone asked her a question about Spidey 3, expecting to get the same roundabout, "Well, I'm sworn to secrecy" line. But instead she uttered the following reply, which probably made more than one reporter fall out of chair and choke on his pencap:

"We have really great people though as the villains in this film, Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace -- Venom and Sandman. (pause) Maybe I wasn't supposed to say that."

Yeah, maybe you weren't. After all the hulabaloo, after stonewalling everyone at ComicCon, I can't imagine that this was how Avi Arad was planning on revealing their identities to the public, even though Venom and Sandman was already the consensus of just about anyone who gives a crap. Kirsten Dunst also said in a later interview with MTV that the film had "two and a half villians", which I'm gonna assume is a reference to Harry pulling an Anakin Skywalker and becoming the Hobgoblin at the end of the film. There are still possibilities for Curt Connors to become The Lizard and I would even buy that Doc Ock may have survived somehow, but I think the smart money is on young Osbourne.

I have very high hopes for Peter Parker's next outing, especially now that there's a black symbiote suit involved. I echo my previous assertions that casting Topher Grace as Eddie Brock/Venom is probably the smartest move he could have made. They've got the opportunity to set Venom up as a real dark mirror to Spiderman, and despite the recent outcry from Danny Elfman, I still have a lot of faith and trust in Sam Raimi.

Production gears up in January, so here we go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder