08 September 2005

Ant-Man Not So Lame After All

Hey guys, it's Donnie...Yesterday I told you that the newly rechristened Marvel Enterprises was preparing to self finance the production on a number of their properties, among them several "second-tier" superheroes that no one really gives a crap about, least notably Ant-Man. I was totally unfamiliar with Ant-Man at the time, although I've come to learn that he was actually a brilliant scientist named Hank Pym, who discovered Pym Particles that allowed him to shrink to the size of an insect and then restore his size. He therefore invented a cybernetic helmet that allowed him to communicate with bugs and...well I think you can see where this is going.

Apparantly he was part of The Avengers, and I suppose that makes sense. As part of a group of heroes, his particular talents would come in handy at times and be totally ignored the other 90% of the time. But, come on...an Ant-Man movie? As soon as I saw that, I thought to myself, "That's gotta be a comedy. There's no way they're gonna make an Ant-Man movie that takes itself seriously." Thankfully, I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Not only is Marvel planning on making a comedy out of it, but they're looking to sign Edgar Wright to direct. Edgar Wright is the genius behind the British TV show Spaced and, more recently, the writer/director of Shaun Of The Dead, one of the funniest movies of last year. Apparantly Wright actually wrote a treatment for Ant-Man before he did Shaun, so Marvel's newfound bank-debt could be just the break he needed. Who knows, maybe Captain America won't be the only one of this new crop of flicks that makes a little coin...

On a completely separate note, this morning I was browsing around CHUD and I stumbled upon this DVD Review for Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever and it's goddamn hilarious. I feel compelled to share it with you, both to throw the good ole boys at CHUD a little more web traffic, and cuz it's the funniest thing I've seen all week. If you've had the misfortune to catch this flick on HBO on a boring Sunday afternoon, it's even funnier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder