06 July 2005

DiCaprio Discovers Ice-Nine



Hey guys, it's Donnie...I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read a book by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm not quite sure how that happened, because I've always been sure that if I did read one I would really like it, but for whatever reason it's just never happened. I find this doubly puzzling because Kurt Vonnegut's son was my childhood doctor for years...

Anyway, despite the fact that I've never actually read any of his books, I am aware that he's written quite a few and that most universally considered to be excellent and that a few have even made it to the big screen (although I'm sure that more than a few people have probably blocked out the memory of Bruce Willis' Breakfast Of Champions). Well, as the saying goes, here we go again...

Leo DiCaprio's production company Appian Way has just inked a deal to develop and produce a feature adaptation of Cat's Cradle, the Vonnegut book best known for its invention of ice-nine, an element which, when introduced, freezes water. It was created as a way to help soldiers stuck in the mud, but its creator soon realized that if introduced, ice-nine would continue to spread outward unchecked until it had completely transformed all the Earth's water into solid ice-nine. The book was a commentary of sorts on scientific discovery and the lack of morality sometimes inherent in that process.

No word yet on how hands-on DiCaprio will be in developing the project and/or if he plans on starring in the film himself.

Maybe I should go to the library...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder