21 June 2005

Buffy In Wonderland



Hey guys, it's Donnie...I'm not a very big video game nut, certainly not to the extent that most of my friends are. There are plenty of video game properties that I am totally unfamiliar with, and you can count this one among them.

American McGee's Alice is, apparently, an RPG that picks up where the Lewis Carroll books left off, except it is, apparently, really fucking dark. One description of the video game I found online described the plot as Alice being the only survivor of the destruction of her home and the slaughter of her family, thus returning to Wonderland to destroy the Queen of Hearts once and for all. So.....not really for the younglings.

At one point Wes Craven was heading up the project and looking to cast Natalie Portman as the intrepid young heroine. Now, after a round of the Hollywood shuffle, Sarah Michelle Gellar can look forward to doing battle with oversized playing cards under the somewhat capable direction of one Marcus Nispel, whose crowning achievement to date was directing the recent remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'll give Nispel credit for utilizing an interesting visual style to make a pretty awful script vaguely watchable, and this certainly sounds like a project that lends itself to some fantastic visuals.

I really like Sarah Michelle Gellar. I was a big Buffy fan, although I sort of stopped paying attention once they got out of high school. That being said, her projects of late have been less than stellar, and I really think she's due for a quality flick, something dark but not an outright horror movie.

Let's see where this one goes. It couldn't be much worse than The Grudge and the Scooby Don'ts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder