24 June 2005

The Batman vs Spicolli?



Hey guys, it's Donnie...man, I'm really not sure how I feel about this one.

That final bit at the end of Batman Begins literally made the audience start cheering at my midnight screening, and for good reason I think. That's just a fantastic moment, perfectly executed. So, suffice it to say, Joker casting rumors have been flying back and forth across the internet, really since before Batman was actually released. I've heard some great names bandied about, including Tim Roth, Lachy Hulme, Adrien Brody, Mark Hamill (who did the voice of the joker in the Animated Series) and my personal favorite, George McFly himself, Crispin Glover. After seeing him as The Thin Man in the Charlie's Angels movies (which are pretty much trash if I do say so myself) I'm pretty much sold and I think he would be a great choice, if only because there's a big part of me that wants to see a Joker that is just completely unhinged, a completely warped psychopath, as opposed to Jack's iconic portrayal of the power hungry gangster that gets a little fucked up. I feel like Jack's Joker was a little too much in control.

Anyway, the latest TOTALLY UNCONFIRMED RUMOR is that Chris Nolan is courting none other than Sean Penn to re-invent the Joker. I enjoy the work that Sean Penn does immensely, even if I don't always enjoy the movies he's in. (Mystic River more than kinda sucks) However, I'm not sold that he's the best choice for Joker. I think that his portrayal might be a little too close to Jack's performance, and if they really want to keep the reinvention of Gotham fresh, they need to continue to differentiate this universe from the Burton universe. Plus, I think he may be too big of a name. I think that one of the strengths of Batman Begins was casting Batman and the baddies with actors whose faces and names are familiar but still not superstars ala Jack and Keaton.

Then again, this could be a totally fictional rumor. Someone claimed that a UK magazine has published that someone overheard an intoxicated Christian Bale at a Batman premiere speaking too loudly about who Nolan wants to get for the sequels, so this rumor most certianly must be taken with a grain (if not a shaker) of salt.

What do you all think? Who should don the purple suit next?

1 Comments:

Blogger Billy Dagwood said...

Luke Skywalker all the goddamn way. As much as Crispin Glover would definitely be "unhinged" enough, Somehow I think that the Joker should be a little more .. robust, as it were. Or at least a little fatter. I don't mean Cesar Romero-style, but still--the Joker needs to be more than a one-sided schizo maniac. The strength of Batman Begins, I think, came largely from the depth given to each character, even the smaller ones, and Crispin Glover, while creepy, doesn't seem to offer that. I don't want to see George McFly, Willard, or even Bartleby playing the Joker.

Besides, I don't think he's got the voice. Crispin Glover tends to fit better in roles where he doesn't have to talk very much, and when he does, it's quietly. The Joker has to be loud and theatrical.

So, to reiterate, if they do decide just to go for an all-out creepy + crazy, go for Christopher Walken.

It's time for Mark Hamill to rejuvenate his career anyways. Look at William Shatner!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder