27 October 2005

Jonze Lives Where The Wild Things Are

Hey guys, it's Donnie...Here with some details on a project that I think most people have totally forgotten about. I know I certainly did. One of my newest spies, codename MaxFischer, dropped me a line last night to inform me that Spike Jonze's long whispered about adaptation of Where The Wild Things Are is starting to make actual progress. This project was announced exactly three years ago tomorrow and that was pretty much the last I heard of it.

Well, apparantly Tom Hanks and the good folks at Playtone Productions have decided that the time is finally right to bring one of my favorite non-Suess children's books to life, and they're willing to pony up the dough to prove it. I'm told the estimated budget is somewhere in the ballpark of $60-$65 million, which isn't exactly chump change for a studio like Playtone who's only been around for five years and who's biggest hit was arguably My Big Fat Greek Wedding, a movie that brought in literally 50 times what it cost to make...three years ago.

Playtone was originally planning on doing the whole thing CGI, and I know Jonze wanted it all to be live action. Max told me that he was unsure as to the final decision, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if this is exactly what has held up the production up until now. Either way, I'm just looking forward to getting some new Spike Jonze. The man is one of the most talented directors working today and it's a shame that he hasn't done a feature since Adaptation, although he could make music videos from now till doomsday and I'd still be pretty happy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder