12 September 2005

Forster Runs With Kites

Hey guys, it's Donnie...as I drove home from my mini Cape Cod vacation this weekend, we passed a park where a child was flying a kite. The kite was of a large black shark, prompting my friend Ian to exclaim (and by exclaim I mean calmly state in a manner that, relative to his normal tone of voice, denoted an exclamation) "Shit! A flying shark. Somehow they skipped a few thousand years of evolution. We're fucked." And while I maintain that a flying shark is not nearly as threatening as it would seem, (Just go indoors. They may have mastered flight but they still can't handle doorknobs.) that really has nothing to do with the rest of this article. I just find flying sharks to be rather amusing.

In other kite news, Marc Forster has signed on to direct an adaptation of The Kite Runner, the best-selling novel by Khaled Hosseini. The story centers on a man who returns to his native Afghanistan while it's under the strict rule of the Taliban. While there he attempts to rescue his best friend's son, presumably not from evil flying sharks.

The screenplay was written by David Benioff, who is also responsible for the impending Wolverine spinoff movie as well as the upcoming psychological thriller Stay, directed by Marc Forster, who previously brought us Monster's Ball and the luscious Finding Neverland. Between Stay and The Kite Runner, Forster will bring us Stranger Than Fiction, a Will Ferrell comedy about an IRS auditor who starts to hear a voice narrating his life as he lives it. I guess he's trying to stretch his talents, as well as the boundaries of my sanity.

I haven't read this book, but I do know many people who have enjoyed it, including many females that I wouldn't mind spending some extra time with. So I guess I should pick it up, that way we can hold an intellectual discussion about the film's important societal messages, as well as the important societal messages in my pants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder