01 June 2005

Wake Me Up When They Get The Oscar...

Hey guys, it's Donnie...and I don't think I could be any less excited about Cinderalla Man, or, as I like to call it, A Beautiful Mind II: Them's Fightin' Words!

Seriously, there's just something about these Oscar bait films. You can just imagine the meeting that must have taken place at Imagine and/or Universal. "Okay, what's the best way to get an Academy Award this year? How about we get Ron Howard to direct a true story scripted by Akiva Goldsman in which Russell Crowe is a poor boxer in the depression who resurrects his carreer and inspires millions of Americans to keep fighting against poverty. And if we work this right, we could totally get Bridget Jones to play his wife."

Look, I'm sure that the movie's gonna be very touching (How can it not be? The guy is getting the crapped kicked out of him nightly so he can put bread on the table for his kids) and Potsie's got some skill behind the camera, but, honestly, who cares? This is just about the safest movie I've ever seen. There's absolutely no way that this movie will not make a hefty profit at the box office and receive way too many Oscar nominations.

I had this conversation with someone a while back, about how I hadn't seen The Hours because I knew that it was gonna be well written, well acted and probably decently directed. However, it still didn't interest me in the slightest. The biggest risk the movie seemed to take was putting a funny nose on Nicole Kidman. I wanna see movies that risk failure, not movies that are guaranteed success, but are totally predictable and safe. I want to see more Equilibriums, more Constantines, more Matrixes. (Matrices?) These are the kinds of movies that don't go for the easy profit, they go out on a bit of a limb and maybe it'll pay off big and maybe it won't. Either way, I'd rather watch a filmmaker try and fail then watch him plug and play all the elements of an Oscar winner and then autopilot through the film.

On a completely different note, The Dude says the word "man" every 90 seconds on average in The Big Lebowski.

I just thought you all should know that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder