18 October 2005

Keaton and Downey Jr. Weep Over Game 6

Hey guys, it's Donnie...It's no secret that I'm from Boston and a huge Red Sox fan, which almost goes without saying if you're from 'round here. I even have tha tattoo to prove it. I was obviously hugely disappointed at our piss poor performance in the last month or so of the season, as well as our barely-there appearance in this year's playoffs. (Go White Sox.) But mostly I consider myself privelaged to have witnessed the Sox at both one of their tragic lows (Game 7 of the ALCS in 2003) and their ultimate high. (Do I even need to say it? WORLD SERIES BABY!)

Well, this morning I stumbled across a story about a film starring Michael Keaton and Robert Downey Jr. that just got North American distribution by Kindred Media Group, who I've never heard of, so expect a limited release. The story...well, the press release probably puts it best:
On the eve of the opening of his newest play playwright Nicky Rogan (Michael Keaton) is fixated on failure. But not without reason. As Rogan's day begins, his marriage is in shambles, his lead actor has a parasite in his brain causing him to forget his lines, there is asbestos in the air, and he is terrified of the feared critic Steven Schwimmer (Robert Downey Jr.) who is so hated that he's taken to carrying a gun to the theatre.
So what the hell does all this have to do with baseball? Well, here's the kicker, the thing that made me go back and read the whole story over again and decide it was actually worth talking about today: Keaton's character is a lifelong Red Sox fan, and the movie takes place on October 25, 1986, a night that, despite last year's overdue victory, will forever live in infamy throughout Boston till the end of time. Buckner. GAH! I don't even like thinking about it. And thus we get the title of the film, Game 6.

I was certainly interested in this movie to start with. Keaton and Downey Jr? Consider me there. Throw in some classic Red Sox lore and I'll be buying tickets well in advance.

RSN 2006 baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder