08 June 2005

Layer Cake

Hey everybody, it's Bill. I thought I'd try to beat Donnie to the punch for a change and throw out a few quick thoughts about Layer Cake.

I .. didn't really like it that much. I know Donnie did, because I saw it with him, but it just didn't do it for me. I was expecting (or at least hoping for) a Lock Stock or a Snatch, but instead I got Traffic meets Lock Stock meets Butterfly Effect (which I've never seen, by the way) meets Remington Steele with a side of Chief O'Brien.

I really wanted the characters to be better developed. I really wanted the music to be better chosen. I really wanted to see less of the main character brooding. And I really really wanted to see more of the blond chick. Really really.

As far as the plot goes, well, I thought it was a sound premise, but the execution felt a bit rushed to me. I think this ties in with what I felt was a lack of establishment--perhaps I just expect Guy Ritchie to beat me over the head with stuff. Or maybe drug movies by definition aren't as amusing as theft movies.

I mean, it's not that I disliked it, but I just didn't like it as much as either Lock Stock or Snatch, both of which I really enjoyed, even on just the first watching. What's more, I liked both more and more each time I saw them. I get the feeling that if I were to see Layer Cake again I might start to dislike it or maybe just doze off--it's the pace: the other two had momentum. This one just hurried.



Oh yeah and the ending really sucked. That was stupid.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Expect my full review within the next day or so, but I would like to point out that Layer Cake was not directed by Guy Ritchie. The director is Matthew Vaughn, who produced Snatch and Lock Stock. Layer Cake is his first effort as a director, which is clear sometimes, as is Ritchie's influence.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Billy Dagwood said...

I'm aware of that .. I just meant I went into it EXPECTING a Guy Ritchie sort of thing. Perhaps I should have rephrased my "I expect Guy Ritchie to beat me over the head" comment.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Little Giant Ladder